Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Boiler with no pump overrun

On Jan 22, 9:10*am, Gypsygirl wrote:
Hi thanks to both for your advice. I do check all radiators for air and
the only place it seems to arise sometimes is in the towel rail and i
bleed that. The pump seems to be a standard size and is running on 2 as
advised to be standard setting . I have however run it at 3 for a couple
of days and there is no difference .

Nestork Not sure what a gate valve is but i do have automatic rad valves
on all radiators .Upstairs are on 3 downstairs 6 (valves are 1-6) this
makes most downstairs hotter than hand heat but nowhere near the heat of
the boiler outlet. I have checked that none of the rad valves are
malfunctioning ie locked down but the water getting there is simply luke
warm .

Could it be the pump does not circultate the hot water long enough as
the pump runs only as long as the boilers on ? Please if you have any
further options i'm just lost .

--
Gypsygirl

The advice about balancing valve could be right.
There are two valves on each radiator.
One of them you adjust the temperature with.

The one at the other end needs a tool to adjust it with.
The purpose of this one is to make sure the water is forced to go
round all parts of the system.
Without them (or if they were all wide open) the water would take the
shortest path and not go round the furthest radiators (or very little
anyway).

So these valves need to be adjusted when the system is new, after that
that don't need to be touched.
(Called balancing the system)

If someone has messed about with even one of them, it could upset the
whole system.
Eg if they opened one up fully that was close to the boiler, all the
heating water could go through that radiator and none through the
others.
If you know someone has done this to a particular radiator, it needs
to be progressively closed until the whole system is warming.

But the whole system may need to be rebalanced if someone has been
messing about with several valves.

I can explain how you do this but you will need a tool to adjust these
valves. On some it's just a spanner.