Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default CFL ballast design, and using dead lamps for repair

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 06:40:44 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Most CFLs have PTC thermistors that increase current flow
to the heater for the first few seconds - makes the lamp start
quickly, particularly in cool weather conditions.
It also burns out the heater in a few hundred or so cycles.

Fortunately, I have not had this problem. The CFLs in my bathroom and bedroom
have lasted two to three years, and are turned on and off several times a day.

Two or three years? I have incandescents that last a lot longer than
that.