Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DreamLiner and Li-ion

On 22/01/13 10:13, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 21/01/13 20:16, John Williamson wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 21/01/2013 01:37, Steve Firth wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 19/01/2013 23:56, Steve Firth wrote:
Indeed, the plane was incapable of doing what the pilot commanded.
So it
did the best that it could. Without the digital controls it would
simply
have crashed a bit earlier.

That's the way I've always heard it - he overrode the computer. But
there
seems to be some dispute and fiddling with evidence. Do you have a
link
to the official reports anywhere?

The official report is he

http://www.bea.aero/docspa/1988/f-kc...f-kc880626.pdf

snip

Bien, merci, et... ah. Wrong overlay. I would have preferred it in
English, but the practice does me good

That's pretty clear it was pilot error. Too low power setting, too

late.

Power setting was correct for the maneouvre during the fly by, but when
he became aware of a problem, the pilot applied TOGA power a couple of
seconds too late for the engines to spool up in time to make enough
thrust to lift the plane above the height of the trees.

It took a LONG time for carrier based jets to become accepted, for
that very reason. No instant throttle response for a go-around.

You mean turbine blades don't feather?

Is that a joke?

--
Ineptocracy