Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More metalworking content

On 2013-01-20, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
?
? "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
??
?? On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker ? wrote:
?? ? Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.
??
?? Nice to see real metalworking.

[ ... ]

? Don, how are the repairs to your shop coming along?

Well ... the cleaning and checking of the machines is complete.

[ ... ]

Currently waiting through paperwork to get the check from the
insurance company turned into cash to pay people. Had to get it signed
by the credit union, and the mortgage company wants to hold onto it and
handle disbursements themselves.

At least you are making some progress. Keep us informed, and let us
know if you need to replace the computer you used for CNC. I'm sure
something can be found, unless you want to spring for a new, industrial
grade motheboard with EISA slots.

Well ... actually, *that* computer survived, though it looks a
bit ugly on the surface which was uppermost. Soot stains in the paint :-)
It is an HP box with a SATA drive, and no custom boards in it yet. It
is loaded with LinuxCNC and has a 19" touchscreen monitor hung on it.
2GB RAM, 2.4 GHz CPU. Linux claims to find 2 CPUs, so it must be a dual
core. :-) Linux says (in dmesg) among lots of other things:

HP Compaq Laptop series board detected. Selecting BIOS-method for reboots.

even though it is a nice tower case.

What *did* die was an IBM ThinkCenter (nice small desktop box)
which had Solaris 10 OS installed, and was used to interface to the Emco
Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe to upload/download programs. The latest
version of the software was on the disk and nowhere else, and luckily
enough, the drive survived, and in another box I was able to extract the
source for future use. I would like to find another of the same
footprint as the ThinkCenter (which came from "PC Warehouse" -- one of
the branches of PC-Retro which was closest to me. I should be able to
find another at one of their other branches which are still open.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564