Posted to rec.woodworking
rlz rlz is offline

Default slicing a 1x8 board

On Jan 21, 3:59*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
On Monday, January 21, 2013 12:39:02 PM UTC-8, rlz wrote:
I am trying to slice a 1"x8"x3' piece of walnut into a couple of 3/8"x8" boards. My bandsaw is a benchtop model that doesn't have a wide enough opening. I tried to do this on my tablesaw by raising the blade ad high as possible. It came close, and it was sorta awkward to get an exact cut. Any suggestions?

You could build a jig or tall fence to help hold the piec on edge at the TS. Run a kerf down both edges (indexing off the same face) as deep as possible. Then finish with a hand saw.

I have done this even when I had a bandsaw deep enough but difficult wood to resaw. Of course then I finish the last cut on the band saw anyway. Some guys resaw this way all the time. Actually faster usually. Use a thin kerf blade if you can on the TS it will waste less, be closer to the BS kerf and easier on the TS.

regarding building a jig, would an upside-down U shape cover for the
fence., with an adjustable L shape laying flat on top work to keep the
board staight up against the fence? I thinking that it would work in
conjunction with a featherboard as well.

B=board
F=Fence
X=Jig
s=top of the saw

X X X X X X X
X B X X X X
X B X F F X
B X F F X
B X F F X
B X F F X
ssssssssssssss

Thanks for the tip to use a thin kerf blade. I hadn't thought of
that. (not being sarcastic)

Robin