Posted to uk.d-i-y
Wesley[_2_] Wesley[_2_] is offline

Default warning - Machine Mart

"Eric" wrote in message
Rick Hughes wrote ...

I bought an item from Machine Mart (magnifier & Fl light) it was
useless, quality of magnifier lens was so poor everything was out of
focus.

Took it back the next day ... as I had 'opened the box' would only give
Credit Note.

Next time I went to buy took Credit note to pay (£50 credit) ... to
be told credit note expired.
In the very small print there was a date limit ... certainly not
mentioned by the shop at the time.

I took it to customer services - who also said 'No'
...........OK I asked could I have the original item back then, at
least I could sell it .......... to be told 'No'

Fells like I have been robbed ... they have my money I have no goods.

So be warned if they offer you a credit note.

http://www.devon.gov.uk/tsdocfulldet...%3Bcons%3Badv%
3Bpwg&docId=122503&returnTo=problems_with_goods_le aflets

I have just purchased goods which are defective. The trader will only
offer me a credit note. Is he right?

No. If you have acted quickly enough, you are entitled to reject the
goods and get a refund. If you have not acted quickly enough, you are
entitled to a repair, a replacement or a full or partial refund, (see
our leaflet 'Buying goods - your rights'). You do not have to accept a
credit note.

+1 Cases like this are covered by the Sale of Goods Act .
http://www.business-law.co.uk/blog/s...ds-act-summary

If Goods are not 'fit for purpose' you are entitled to a refund or
replascement. You do NOT have to accept a credit note.

I suggest that you advise the store that you are going to sue them through
the Small Claims Court and that this will entail them having to pay court
costs on top of the money the will have to refund to you. As the original
goods were not fit for purpose, they have not got a leg to stand on. They
will also have a judgement recorded against the business. It would
therefore be more sensible for them to just refund your money.