Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Stanley 81 question

Doug Miller writes:
I just inherited a Stanley #81 cabinet scraper. The rosewood sole is badly worn. Any
suggestions for making (or purchasing) a replacement?

The tool is not a collector's item (one handle has been broken off and rewelded). I intend to
*use* it, not put it on a shelf, so the objective here is repair, not restoration.

It looks to me like any tight-grained hard wood, cut to the proper dimensions, should do the
job, and I have a plentiful supply of rock maple, beech, and yellow birch, so I think I'm good
there. I'm just not sure of the best way to go about cutting the slot.

I'd use a coping saw. Drill a starter hole, and cut the slot. Clean up with a
file.

scott