Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Anyone got a kenwood chef they don't want

On Jan 20, 4:12*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
polygonum wrote

geoff wrote
I want to properly knead dough like the new bread makers don't seem to be
able to
I found out that my brother has "inherited" my mother's kenwood chef, so
I'm on the lookout for one

Not sure what you are trying to achieve here.
For me, I did have a fling with bread-maker and it was fun and quite nice.

And leaves the bought bread for dead.

Nope.

Its actually rather
more convenient than buying it too,

Nope.

even tho I have a bread
shop just around the corner in very easy walking distance.
Less work to weigh the mix, water and yeast into the bread
machine tin than to walk to the bread shop and back and

You need more exercise then you might find the walking easier.

the bread is much better from the machine too.

Not if you want it now.

Very much depended on exact flour and recipe - small differences had quite
an effect

I just use the mix in the very large sacks.

If you don't really care then that's probably Ok for you.

- but under-kneading never seemed to be an issue.

Yeah, its never been for me, or for any of those I have
got bread machines for from the garage/yard sales.

Partner had to give up bread so have now abandoned making at all. (Not
very nice to fill house with baking bread smell when someone will be ill
if they eat it.)
But before giving up, I did re-visit what I used to do many years ago -
overnight rise in refrigerator then oven rather than bread-maker. And I
looked around the internet for ideas. Realised that long, slow rises were
being highly regarded by quite a section of the community.

Cant be bothered myself,

Good for you.

The smell of bread-maker can be overwhelming.

Yeah, the obscenely obese fella who got me into bread machines
has been know to gorge on the whole loaf fresh out of the machine.

That's you, that is.

But he does that with cream cakes from the cake shop too.

Please stop talking about yourself.

As can the in-store bakeries in supermarkets. That all seems to come from
the fast rise and is proportionately huge amounts of yeast used.
Slow rise smells much nicer.

Cant say I have noticed that effect myself, but then the bakerys

All this fresh bread has done nothing for your brain.