Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default Propane torch problems in winter

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 20:32:39 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

As a comment about Worthington torches and tanks. *From personal
experience, I tell everyone to avoid all their products. *I bought one
of their self igniting trigger torches. *The flame was very tiny and no
bigger than the flame on a Bic lighter. *I tried to use it, and the
flame became smaller by the second. *After 5 minutes of use, the flame
went out and would not relight. *Even applying an external flame to it
did nothing. *The gas simply did not come out. *(This was indoors and
not in the cold). *I returned the torch, and got a replacement (same
model). *That one was even worse. *It burned for less than a minute and
would not relight.

Before returning it, I went to their website and send them a detailed
email, explaining the problem and asking if this model was defective, or
if there was a bad batch of them, with apparently clogged orfices. *I
told them the place I bought them. *I then asked them what their
warranty covered, explaining that the store I bought them at, is over 50
miles away (I live in a rural area).

I had expected them to honor their warranty, or make some sort of remedy
for the situation. *Three weeks later, I had not gotten a reply email.
I sent the same email again, this time telling them that I had already
sent this on *date* and had not heard back. *I told them I expected a
email reply or phone call based on their warranty. *I sent the email
with a return receipt this time.

I never heard back from them, and that was over a year ago.

I did return it to the store, and demanded a refund. *They gave me a
refund without question, and said that they were getting almost all of
these torches back as defective, and that they were no longer going to
sell any Worthington torches or products, because the company does not
honor their warranty, and is terrible to deal with. *The store no longer
sells their products at all, and is a large home supply company.

One final note about this. *When I returned the second torch, I had left
it connected to the tank for over a month. *Although it never ignited,
the tank was empty. *I have no clue where the gas went on a torch that
would not burn after one minute of use.

Avoid Worthington products!

maybe they should be called Worthless

That sounds like it makes more sense, because worthless is what their
products are!!!!