Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default OT. Small motor

On 1/19/2013 8:23 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
Any idea how long that puppy was powered up and just sitting there
groaning, Keith?

OP: The first time it stopped; no. It was the first cool evening of
the fall. I turned it on and went about watching TV, and checking the
newsgroups on the computer etc. Some time later I noticed the fan was
not running. Other times I was monitoring it so it was stopped for a
minute or to until it was turned off.

The comments about the windings shorting could be true as the wrapper
around the coil has darkened, but on the bench they did not seem
excessively hot. The coil resistance is about 9.5 ohms with my cheap ohm
meter. There is no continuity to the ground on either tab.

Not sure if 9.5 ohms is indicative of a short in the windings or not,
but with everything you've told us, I suspect it is. I'd go out and
check against a small motor here but the shop is in the garage and
temperature is falling like a rock right now. I'd rather stay inside by
MY wood stove.g

Short in the winding is different from a short to ground. The latter is
going to blow the fuse or trip the breaker, the former should heat it up
as instead of having 2000' of wire in the windings, the "short" will, in
effect, shorten the total length of the windings.

At least that's my understanding of it. We have enough electricians
hanging around here that if I'm all wet, they'll hose me down and let me
hold a plugged in toaster as they do sog