Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default DVD laser (just out of curiosity).

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Arfa

Thanks. Do the TO18 style cases have standardised pinout? The laser is
pressed into a block of aluminium, I don't want to risk trying to pry it
out, and even if I did - any type number would end up obliterated.

Now that, I couldn't tell you, I'm afraid. Actual pin numbers or type of
the device tend not to be shown on schematics. Sometimes, the optical
block is shown just as a block, with no indication of what's in it at all.
About the only thing that I can say is that there is usually a photodiode
in the package as well as the laser diode(s). This is used as part of the
auto power control feedback loop. As to whether there are two photodiodes
in dual laser devices, I really don't know. If I get time, I'll have a
look on a few DVD schematics and see if any of them show electrically what
the optical block comprises.

Arfa

Had a proper look - it has got 4 pins.