Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT. Small motor

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:24:05 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell
wrote:

On Jan 19, 2:42*pm, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I realize this is not probably the best place to ask this question, but
collectively the people on this form have experience with every thing.

My question concerns our gas fire place. it is the kind that is vented
through the side of the house.

We used it all last winter. *This fall when we started it up the fan ran
for a while made some noises, and the squirrel cage fan stopped. *At
that time I cleaned the area under the firebox, there were were some
lava stones.

I put it back together and it ran for a while then stopped. *Messed with
it and tried again and it ran for a few minutes and slowed down and the
fan started to hum

I took it out and put a little oil on the shaft and worked it down into
the bearings. It has been running for about an hour and a half.

Is it normal for a small motor like is on the fan to run hot? *This one
is running about 200F. *(taken with thermoprobe on a volt/ohm meeter
with the probe on the out side of bearing housing over the bearing.)

Thanks

What type oil? WD40 is a solvent, makes a good cleaner, but dries
out. 20 weight motor oil is a better general-purpose lube.

Forget 3 in 1 - get sewing machine oil, turbine oil, or something
like "duratrode", "tuff-oil Lub-it" or "Chevron Handy-Oil ISO 15". I
have a tube of each of those 3 - and the shop where I spend 2
afternoons a week has sewing machine oil by the gallon (a leather shop
with all kinds of leatherworking and sewing machinery)