Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Drawer side stock?

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
m...

On 1/18/2013 3:08 PM, dpb wrote:
On 1/18/2013 1:48 PM, Swingman wrote:

And, as you said yourself: "when added up over more than one..."

I replaced the drawers in my vintage built-in kitchen cabinets with
solid wood drawers that I put together with hand cut dovetails. I
didn't use drawer slides... rather I fit them to the casework like I
would drawers in a fine piece of furniture. It is the same approach
Frank Klauz presents on his dovetail DVD.

Because each drawer was built to properly fit the opening they slide
in and out just fine on a coat of paste wax. Old school perhaps but
they work with the kitchen and they function well. Also, to use
slides I would have had to build structure in the cabinet to which
slides could be mounted--that would have been an annoying venture.

I applaud your work and am not trying to rain on your parade; however, your
drawers *ALSO* need an internal structure upon which they slide.

That they had that structure from the original construction of the cabinets.
What they didn't have was anyplace to install slides... For either side
mount or under mount I'd have had to build new internal structure in the
carcasses--a pain in itself--and I'd have lost storage capacity. Making new
drawers that fit properly was far easier and actually gained me a little
capacity as the originals were a little too small for the opening.

John