Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_43_] Bill[_43_] is offline

Default Fire alarm

In article ,
says...

The heat from my wood stove sets off my smoke(heat) detector is there a detector that's better suited for use with a wood stove?

Some smoke detectors also have a HEAT DETECTOR. The alarm sounds when
the temperature at the detector reaches a certain temperature.

With that said, the ceiling above my wood stove reaches around 130
degrees F. max sometimes if I have it cranked up.

And the heat detectors on different smoke detectors can be different
temperatures. I saw 120 degrees and 190 degrees just doing a little
poking around on the internet.

Note that the outside temperature in desert areas can reach 125 degrees
F. So they make higher temperature heat sensors for garages and attics
which will not trip just due to the outside temperatures in those areas.

So perhaps you could find out what temperature the heat sensor on your
smoke detector is set to go off at, then find another smoke/heat
detector with a higher temperature heat sensor.

Also place a thermometer next to the smoke/heat detector and see how hot
it is getting there.

Also you have more flexibility with a fire alarm as part of a home
security system. For those you can get heat only sensors for different
temperatures, "rate of rise" detectors, and various smoke detectors. You
could place each on a separate "zone" of the alarm, then know which
device is being triggered.

Heat only detectors for wired fire alarm systems...
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/c-1...detectors.aspx