Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing repair for old leaky stem valve

The hardware stores near me have "valve packing twine" or something. It's
twine with grease, or silicone stuff mixed in. You may be able to close the
valve as best you can. Loosen the packing nut, and put some of the valve
twine around the shaft. Tighten the packing nut again.

Might need to take the screw out of the valve handle, hold the handle while
loosening, remove the handle and the packing nut, pack, and put it all back
together.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jeff Fulcer" wrote in message
Had some issues and needed to turn off the water to my house. Fixed that
problem but when I turned the water back on, the stem was leaking from my
valve. I tightened the nut and that helped a lot, but didn't shut it off
completely. I'd like to repack the stem but I cannot turn the water off
completely as there is sediment or corrosion in the valve and I can't turn
it off completely, it still has some pressure.

I know I need to replace it (most likely will need to get city involved to
shut water off outside) but for now, is there any way to repack that stem
with *some* water pressure still in it? I know when I tried to unscrew the
nut, it leaked a bit more but not what I would consider 'full' pressure.
Any thoughts?