Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Drawer side stock?

On 1/18/2013 10:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I may be building all new drawers for my kitchen soon, so I am very
interested in this issue. My current drawers, in 1950's stick built
cabinets, are 1/2" stock. I do not plan on replacing the cabinets,
just building drawers and doors.

On 1/18/2013 11:09 AM, Swingman wrote:

5/8" drawer thickness, IMO, gives you the best of both worlds, so is
worth considering for your new kitchen drawers.

I meant to add that you will certainly want to consider, before you make
a decision about your drawer side thickness, the type of drawer slides
you will be using.

While it is possible to use just about any thickness you want with some
drawer slides; manufacturers of the modern undermount, self/soft close
drawer slides will make it much easier for you to dimension your drawer
widths for your cabinet opening if you stick to standard 1/2, 5/8 and
3/4 ... but be sure to double check.

In many cases, you may have to buy a specific submodel of the same slide
for the corresponding thickness, so don't assume anything in that regard.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net