Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Drawer side stock?

Gramp's shop wrote:
3/4 inch or nominal 1/2 inch? The 1/2 inch is 7/16 alder from the
local Menards. Drawer size is approximately 18" square.

Either one but one may be preferable depending...

The 7/16 is fine as long as it is ample for whatever joint you intend to
use.

The 3/4 is fine regardless of the joint. Especially if you intend to get
max usefulness from the drawer. I almost always partition drawers by
cutting 1/4" evenly spaced "V"s into the sides. That lets me easily make
moveable partitions.

I also very frequently fit drawers - even very shallow drawers - with
sliding trays. I do that by using 3/4" sides and making a wide 1/4" rabbet
along the inside top of them. The rabbet is slightly wider than the tray
will be deep and the bottom supports the tray. The rabbet also removes the
top portion of the "V"s for the bottom part of the drawer. The trays can be
either lift out (same size as drawer inside) or sliding (one half or less
than the drawer inside); I generally do the latter.

"A place for everything and everything in its place" :-)

--

dadiOH