Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default How to silence compressed air blasts

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 02:09:43 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ignoramus24985 wrote:
I started using a compressed air dryer. This dryer, as part of the
operation, opens a valve every minute or so for a couple of seconds.

(it is my strong opinion that I should try to find a way to make it do
so less often, but I digress).

This valve opening produces a very annoying noisy blast of air. To
combat this, I routed the polyethylene tubing to the outside of the
building, by drilling a hole in the masonry.

This "resolved" the problem by moving the blast from the inside to the
outside. The outside is the back of the building and faces the
railroad. So it is not bad. But, I would like those blasts to be
quieter on the outside also. What can I do, realistically, to silence
them?

Well the cheap way is to simply run the end into a common turbo style
car muffler. (not a straight through type)
That is what we had in both shops.

There should be a sensor that trips the purge cycle based on collected
water. Some use a humidistat as well.

Most use a simple timer.

1. Lie