Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Welding Rebar?

Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:41:16 -0800, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

I am thinking of using rebar for a project. Some stout shelving using 5/8"
rebar.
Can rebar be welded reliabley?
What rod would work best?

Best Regards
Tom.

Some...some rebar can be welded. There are about 15 different alloys
of the stuff. From utter crap suitable only for burial in concrete to
hide it..to some pretty decent weldable material

I cant tell which is which from looking at it. So I tend to braze
it..which Usually..usually works. Mostly. Kinda Sorta. Sometimes

I think you would be better off with using plain jane black pipe
however.

Gunner

About like working with bed frame "steel" They just toss in whatever
happens to be in the scrap pile. Form it then test it to determine which
alloy it comes close to. The only way to know what you really have would
be to spec out an alloy and have it run.

--
Steve W.