Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT, Southern Blizzard

On Jan 17, 3:57*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:12:48 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Jan 17, 2:32 pm, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
It's snowing here in Alabamastan, we're all gonna die! O_o

TDD

Define "snowing".

Is it this:

http://media.mwcradio.com/mimesis/20...y_jpg_475x310_...

Or this:

http://larc.hamgate.net/bufbliz2.jpg

Hehe-- The prediction I saw was for #2- *12" in Georgia or something
crazy.

Meanwhile, up in Alaska, they can't buy a snowflake for the Iditerod.

Earlier this week I got to call email daughter in SF to show her that
it was 1 degree warmer in upstate NY than it was in SF.

About time the rest of the country got some New England weather.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

I spent a year in AK about 80 miles south of the artic circle. On one
side of the buildings you could see the tundra all winter, on the
other side we would ski off the roofs in our seal skin slippers. As
long as there was nothing to block the snow, it just blew away.
Anything sitting around got buried.

The maintenance crew used to refill the small lakes used for water by
waiting for them to freeze over then setting up a few rows of snow
fence on top. Once the snow drifted and buried the snow fence they'd
add more snow fence to the tops of drifts to capture more snow. The
piles would get pretty high by the end of winter and then the snow
would melt and they'd drag the snow fence out with a tractor.

We'd shovel around the entrance ways, piling up the snow on each side.
When it got to be about 8' high, we'd build a frame and lay plywood
across it for a roof making kind of a tunnel extending from the door.
Then we'd dig steps into the snow so you sort of climbed up out of the
drift that buried the building