Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Voltage regulation wrt resistive and inductive loads...

"John" wrote in message ...
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Tony Hwang wrote:

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

In a portable generator.

Does one type of load vs the other make it more difficult for a typical
portable generator to maintain constant voltage?
Esp at a current approaching the continuous current limit of the
generator.

I ask bec the mfr claims 1-2% regulation. A small miller welder is
causing
12%+ variation, within the current limitations, with the voltage
variation
being fairly proportional to load. I'm assuming a transformer load is
substantially inductive?

I haven't yet tested it with purely resistive loads, cuz, well, this
would
require a lot of heaters, a pita to wire up.

Hi,
In real world situation you will have hard time finding purely resistive
load. Most loads are inductive affecting power factor. IMO, your
generator maybe border line under powered for the welder.

Just get an old electric range top. You can switch the loads on and off
as necessary.

Infinate burner controls don't present a steady load.

I did say old like in low, medium , high. or you could use a couple of
electric baseboard heaters.

Or you could wire the elements up directly.