Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Plunge saw choices

On 1/17/2013 2:02 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/17/2013 10:25 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/17/2013 10:03 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/17/13 1:09 AM, Dave wrote:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...80,42311,46275

Tangent... Those regular Kreg vice grip jig clamps are way too
expensive.
These deep throat locking pliers from Harbor Freight work great with
Kreg pocket hole jigs. I put a large fender washer in my jig, where the
clamp grips. They snap right into the recess and stay put.
http://www.harborfreight.com/11-inch-swivel-pad-lock-grip-pliers-39535.html

I have half a dozen of those and use them for a lot of other clamping
uses besides pocket holes.

I've always been partial to the "vise-grip" type mechanism for quick
change clamping ... in my childhood I somehow knew a few folks who
actually used vice grips when their gear shift broke on the steering
columns of their trucks ... kinda thought they were standard issue there
for a while.

I have a single pair of these listed below. They are like the Kreg
locking pliers with the smaller round swivel end and the bigger round
swivel but they are self adjusting for any thickness material with in
it's capacity. Clamping pressure remains constant at what you set it
regardless of thickness being clamped. Pretty high quality for this
type tool. I got mine at a WW show a couple of years ago and will be
buying more next go round. So easy to use that I use them left handed
and I am right handed.

http://www.chhanson.com/products_ALC.html

Those are real nice,
Same mechanism (close) the the Bessey Holddown... which came first?

--
Jeff