Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Plunge saw choices

On 1/17/2013 10:55 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/16/2013 11:02 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/16/2013 11:52 AM, Swingman wrote:

Less than fifteen minutes ago I walked out of the shop after making four
seat frames for my bar stool project this morning, using pocket hole
joinery:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...88508989074738

I use both these types of clamps, although the Rockler clamp on the
right will do a pretty good job by itself:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30675

Swingman,
based on your recommendation I bought one of these.
clamps.

I notice yours does not have the screw backed out at the end,
mine required backing the screw all the way out otherwise it rises off
the workpiece defeating the point of the clamp. I tried all different
lengths of pocket depth.

Am I the only one having this problem? Also adjusting that screw
required an unbelievable amount of torque to break the screw, it was so
tight.

I have never had that problem, so I don't know what to tell you. My
initial guess would be the depth of cut (drill) and the depth stop not
set correctly, but that is just a guess, with no basis in experience
whatsoever.

Interesting chamfer on your seats.

I have always done that to my seat web frames made for upholstery, and
the upholstery guys seem to love it ... I was under the impression it
was something that everyone did. It does make for a more comfortable to
sit in seat, and a better fitting upholstery job.

When I delivered the seat frames to the upholstery shop yesterday, the
old guy called his workers to look at the frames, and the bar stool I
brought along so he could see what I wanted ... you would have thought I
was from outerspace the way they gathered around and ohhh'ed and ahhh'ed
... "You mean you really made this chair, really???".

We tend to forget just how rare handmade custom furniture/woodwork is
these days.

No as far as depth, I have tried much deeper and much shallower, same
results. It appears that the plastic tube is too flexible when screwed
all the way in, when it's screwed out it appears to have some side support.

I have tried deep holes using thicker pieces so I could move away from
the edge more, and it had no effect. So my guess is I got the bad one.

--
Jeff