Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Sharpie markers dried out

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:36:58 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Around here, rubbing alcohol is 30% water,
I'd not waste my time trying that on removing
sharpie. I would try denatured alcohol.

I did buy another box of black markers. I'll
try some various solvents on the old pens, see
if anything works.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote in message ...

Rubbing alcohol (sometimes ethyl alcohol, sometimes isopropyl alcohol,
plus other chemicals to "denature" it) works to remove "Sharpie" marks,
but to renovate a dried-out marker you want something that evaporates
more quickly. The ones I have are labeled "Nontoxic," and I don't think
xylene (suggested by somebody else) falls into that category.

Perce

What I've found removes Sharpie is Expo white board cleaner. Ethylene
Glycol Monobutyl Ether. (butoxyethanol).

This IS the solvent used in Sharpie fine tip markers. If you can
inject butoxyethanol into the barrel of the sharpie there is a GOOD
chance the sharpie can be resurected.