Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default OT - Sharpie markers dried out

On 01/17/13 10:10 am, Charlie wrote:

I've got a box of black Sharpie markers,
purchased several years ago. They have
dried out, so they don't write properly. Is
there something I can add, some solvent,
to make them write again? Drill a hole in
the barrel, and drip some solvent in?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I have had times when I have marked something with a Sharpie that I wanted
to remove.
If the surface is impervious alcohol works well. I use alcohol of the type
that is used to thin shellac or to use in little heaters.

Rubbing alcohol (sometimes ethyl alcohol, sometimes isopropyl alcohol,
plus other chemicals to "denature" it) works to remove "Sharpie" marks,
but to renovate a dried-out marker you want something that evaporates
more quickly. The ones I have are labeled "Nontoxic," and I don't think
xylene (suggested by somebody else) falls into that category.

Perce