Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default OT

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 08:20:02 -0500, Keith Nuttle wrote:

On 1/17/2013 1:49 AM, Dave wrote:
the money being made by all those businesses that are
ignoring global warming while they continue to spew garbage into the
atmosphere.

Obviously you have never worked for a manufacturing company. For some
companies the environmental regulations are stifling. We could not
improve our boilers because the government would not let us. We had
several boilers. The plan submitted to the government was to shut down
some and increase the capacity of other. While the net results of the
plan would decrease the total site emissions, it was turned down as a
couple of the boilers would increase in emissions. So the results of
government control was to continue with the old inefficient system and
continue higher emissions than was necessary.

That is what the government considers protecting the environment.

I do a good bit of environmental work, and your are correct, the system
is only designed to punish and provides few incentives for a business to
make improvements. In fact any improvement is viewed with distrust and
suspicion.

An example:

In AL all businesses that are in Title V pay fees per ton of emissions to
recover the entire cost of the Title V program in the state, the net
effect is
that if statewide all business eliminated 75 percent of emissions the fee
per ton would quadruple and would generate many new monitoring
requirements. A net loss overall for business. It is easier and less
expensive to maintain the status quo.

basilisk