Posted to alt.home.repair
Ape Ape is offline

Default Problem Using Rug Runners

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:37:28 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

I was reluctant to ask more details about your wife's situation beyond
the information you offered....but, if confusion is part of the problem
in getting to the bathroom, might a portable commode near where she is
be helpful? If she SEES the commode, she might be more able to use it
than to FIND the bathroom.

You know - that is probably going to be a big need if I can't solve
the diarrhea problem. Seems that is a side effect of the dementia
medication (Aercept sp?) she is taking. I quit giving it to her a
week ago, and she has not had an accident since - however, I fear the
effect on her dementia treatment. I am going to sneak the pill back
into her pill sequence, just to see if the diarrhea happens. If it
does, then I will be more sure of what that problem is from anyway.
Time for another doc visit I'm thinking. Maybe a different medication
won't be so harmful. He should know.

Thank you for you insight and time.

I took a nurse aid class couple of years ago in case I had to go back to
work....one of the means of helping to avoid wandering is to put a black
patch of flooring in front of doors where the person is not to go..to
folks with dementia, it appears like a hole and they instinctively avoid
it. To help them find their own room, hang a picture of them in their
younger days...they better remember that and identify with it.

I did not know all that! Interesting. Her problem so far anyway is
not so much not being able to find the bathroom, but that she can't
make the trip because the diarrhea is so pervading (is that the right
word?). Again, a portable commode might just help a lot.

Does she qualify for some home health care or housekeeping assistance?
Should be help on the bowel control issue if she is being treated...hope
for the best for you. It is a tough situation.

Sure is. No, we do not qualify for assistance. Of course I can get
assistance if I pay for it. I am trying to do it on my own as long as
I can. One day at a time, as they say.

Apeman