Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Serious Question About Building Codes And Safety

On Jan 16, 9:35*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
In any of those cases, a door that swings out from the stairs would have
helped. And, she might be alive.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

And at least around here, you have to have a new
home being built inspected, in which case code could
indeed prevent this, provided the code inspector found
it. I suspect it already is code in most places.

I've never seen a door open over stairs like that. It
seems very odd. For one thing, it puts the door in
the way, right where you could hit it with your head
on the way up the stairs. I have seen doors open
into stairwells where there is a substantial landing
there. One that is large enough so that even if you
pushed against the door and opened, you'd fall onto
the landing, not down the stairs.

"dpb" wrote in ....

Code can't protect either

a) shoddy workmanship that had the door hinge/latch so poorly aligned it
didn't catch, or

b) somebody not closing the door the last time thru.

Or, of course, maybe as tragic as it is, grandma accidentally opened the
door herself by grabbing the knob.