Posted to alt.home.repair
Ape Ape is offline

Default Problem Using Rug Runners

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 06:48:58 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

I'm a retired nurse, and old enough to have become more aware of
trip/fall hazards. I've taken care of many, many people with broken
hips, and the number one cause is trying to get to the bathroom in a
hurry. If you are caring for someone with limited ability, safety has
to be your primary concern. I don't think that anything on top of a
plush carpet is going to be safe....don't risk your safety or that of
the other person to save a carpet! )

OK

Problem is the wife who is semi-invalid, with dementia and
incontinence and diarrhea, the last being a main problem.

If the soil problem is from incontinence, are special garments being
used? Are we talking whole-house or one room? It is conceiveable to
have a runner sewn down on top of wtw by a carpet installer, but seems
it would just make a more difficult to clean area. Might be better to
bite the bullet...have the plush taken up and stored for later
reinstallation, then get some resilient, vinyl flooring that can take a
beating and not be an entirely hard surface (like tile) in case of
falls. The slip factor needs to be addressed, should it become wet.

Apeman