Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Texas Dawg Texas Dawg is offline

Default Cable modem TV antenna experiment

On 01/12/2013 02:40 PM, mike wrote:
On 1/11/2013 4:06 PM, Dave Platt wrote:
In articletpidnes9q9LsBG3NnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@giganews. com,
Texas wrote:

My nearest neighbor lives 1000 feet away, he's old, and sick.
He likes my Android tablet, so, I was thinking about getting
him one, but, he doesn't have Internet. I thought maybe I could
get him Internet that way, where he could watch Netflix and surf
the web without him paying for Internet at $41.11 per month.

1000 feet is gonna be more than you want to deal with.
But more importantly, how far to HIS nearest neighbor.
Maybe it's more feasible for him to steal their netflix and internet.

After the nearest neighbor, the other neighbors are more than
3000 feet away.

For movies, you can load the movies onto a flash card and deliver
it to his tablet.

How would I get the movies downloaded from Netflix to put on
a flash drive to let him watch?

Rather than trying to relay the cable signal via antennas (which would
in effect be creating an unlicensed TV transmitter, and could cause
all sorts of legal and technical grief) you'd be better off setting up
an 802.11 bridge. A 1000-foot link is definitely possible with a gain
antenna on each end, if you have a clear line of sight between the two
houses. That sort of solution would be legal, as long as you
pick 802.11 radio-and-antenna systems which have been properly
certificated. Ubiquiti is one vendor of these sorts of devices.

Your neighbor would have two WiFi devices in his house (one for the
bridge, with a directional antenna, and a second access point or
router indoors with an omni antenna to provide a base for the tablet
and any other device he wants. They would operate on different
channels from one another so as to not interfere. One run of Cat-5
Ethernet cable between them, a bit of setup on each end and you'd be
good to go.

http://wiki.ubnt.com/How_to_bridge_internet_connections