Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troubleshooting Payne propane furnace blower fan constant but no heat

On Jan 15, 3:20*am, Zen wrote:
Just as it gets cold, my Payne hot air propane-fired furnace broke!http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11964117.jpg

All of a sudden, the blower just blows cold air constantly without letup.
The pilot flame never starts.
Obviously, the gas never lights up either.

This happened, all of a sudden.

Normally, it has an electronic pilot, which lights the gas about a minute
after the blower starts. *There is plenty of propane.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

I think there are three main components:
1. The flame apparatus
2. The circuit board
3. The lockout switch

I'm inclined to just buy all three, and replace (and have a spare), since
I remember the last service call was expensive and the circuit board was
replaced in seconds after a three week wait for the parts to arrive.

Do you have any idea WHERE I can get the three main components?http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11964131.jpg

Some observations:

I don't know how your furnace is designed or hooked up.
But I've never seen a forced air furnace where the blower
goes on for a minute BEFORE the furnace fires. Every
one I've ever seen works exactly the opposite. The
burner fires FIRST and then the blower comes on a
minute or so later. That avoids the furnace blowing cold
air. The blower is triggered either by a temperature
switch in the plenum or by a control board.

It's usually not a good idea to just start replacing
components randomly. Regarding the list of suspects:

1. The flame apparatus

what's that? the actual burner assembly?

2. The circuit board

3. The lockout switch

Which lockout switch? There typically are
several mechanisms involved. If it's a simple switch,
it can be bypassed for test purposes instead of just
replacing it on the theory it might be bad. And if it's
the switch on the blower compartment, in the furnaces
I've worked on, that switch only disabled the blower.
The fact that the blower works tells you that switch is
OK.

First area I'd be looking into is if the ignitor is
activating, ie is it trying to light at all? That's the first
step in the process and the ignitor going bad is one
frequent source of problems.