Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default IR questions insulation, heat loss

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Would you be scanning indoors, or out? Both?

A couple fellows and myself blew some cellulose
into my ceiling. Cut down on the icicles, a lot.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"gregz" wrote in message

I've done all myself. Sometimes when your starting from a poor home, you
can test as you go. With typical insulation here, the ceiling below attic
should be at average room temperature, not below. Exterior walls show some
drop in temperature with R11-13 insulation. I got a whole house fan, so
it's easy to test for drafts, but one or two vents, like range or bathroom
should also work. Incense sticks, wet fingers. Man, the house had massive
leaks when I started fixing things up. Still leaks though. When using a IR
thermometer, hold the trigger and slowly scan walls and ceilings. You can
form a mental picture with the scans, just as good as a camera. Scan
everything.

I'd hire out help if your fairly well off, or think you are.

Greg

Indoor scanning. I never thought about outdoors, but something to think
about. I do watch the snow melt on everyones roof.

The handheld IR gun, becomes inaccurate if the devices is not in room
temperature. It's also fairly useless to scan windows.

Greg