Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default IR questions insulation, heat loss

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Steve B" wrote:

-snip-
I really want to go around, and caulk all the sites where I "think" air is
getting in, as around where door casings meet stucco, and other areas where
irregular surfaces make a good mating of materials impossible. But, after
that, I would like a real pro assessment.

What about a small piece of smoking cotton twine to identify drafts? I know
there are places where I can do this myself, and would probably call out a
pro to do the harder and larger areas where I want total sealing.

Suggestions?

Since infiltration is probably the worst of it, incense, a cigarette
or a candle is the best way to find drafts. Got a big honking
exhaust fan? Stick it in the door- seal around it and turn it on
and see where it is sucking replacement air from.

Then, I'd play with an infrared thermometer for a while. Got double
pane windows?

I'll be the contrarian [sort of] and say I'd not put a lot of faith in
my utility's assessment. You might get lucky and have someone come
out that knows what they are doing. They might even have some good
gear to play with. I've had 2 done- and was glad both times that I
knew a little bit about heat loss and electrical consumption. they
were both all wet.

There was a not-for-profit group that operated around here years ago &
I spoke with one of their guys at a lumberyard for a while. *He*
seemed to have his **** together.

Just saying-- check the work of whoever tells you to spend any money--
and if it is free, have a couple people do it so you can compare
notes.

Jim

I've done all myself. Sometimes when your starting from a poor home, you
can test as you go. With typical insulation here, the ceiling below attic
should be at average room temperature, not below. Exterior walls show some
drop in temperature with R11-13 insulation. I got a whole house fan, so
it's easy to test for drafts, but one or two vents, like range or bathroom
should also work. Incense sticks, wet fingers. Man, the house had massive
leaks when I started fixing things up. Still leaks though. When using a IR
thermometer, hold the trigger and slowly scan walls and ceilings. You can
form a mental picture with the scans, just as good as a camera. Scan
everything.

I'd hire out help if your fairly well off, or think you are.

Greg