Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee B Lee B is offline

Default Ideas for Supporting Fold down table/desk from closed MurphyBed

On 1/14/2013 4:13 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 1/14/2013 2:06 PM, SMS wrote:
We have a queen size Murphy bed in a bedroom that was supposed to double
as an office. I built in using kit hardware.

Now I'd like to have a 60" wide fold down table/desk attached to the
closed bed, but the table needs to be able to fold up out of the way
when the bed is lowered. Something like this
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79847779/#/S99821537 but I
haven't bought anything yet.

I don't see a problem with attaching a hinged 30" x 60" table top to the
bed, but what are some ideas of holding it open?

The bed is about 62" wide.

I could use chains, but I think this would look funky.

None of the fold-out shelf brackets are good for a 30" deep table top.
There are some non-folding 22" brackets
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TII0JY/.

I thought about two hinged 24" wide panels that fold out horizontally
and support the desk.

i would make it fold down. it'll be a lot easier than pushing it up, and
probably can be hidden behind something.

i'd also probably use a couple of fold down legs for the outside corners.

Not this one in particular, but something along the lines of
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80091713/ ?

Or stumbled across
http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...+Shelf+Hinges/
..
This one has some interesting looking hinges - either for the table to
wall, or for legs (ala card table legs)

Take the above with a grain of salt as I'm not at all hardware inclined.
But I did look at a small house once and wondered about getting a fold
out dining table.