Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IR questions insulation, heat loss

On Jan 14, 2:32*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
We're going through a cold spell here, and my HVAC is reaching its limits..
It is 25 degrees F at 1:30 in the afternoon. *It was 14 this morning
outside, plus wind chill brought it down below zero. *Now, I know there are
a lot of folks that live where it's that cold all the time, but for here, it
is a cold snap. *It is supposed to be back up to 60 in a week.

I want to do a survey of my home, and identify heat loss sites, as well as
air infiltration sites.

Is there a means to do this without buying spendy cameras, etc? *Are rental
units available? *Do insulation companies do this sort of service?

I really want to go around, and caulk all the sites where I "think" air is
getting in, as around where door casings meet stucco, and other areas where
irregular surfaces make a good mating of materials impossible. *But, after
that, I would like a real pro assessment.

What about a small piece of smoking cotton twine to identify drafts? *I know
there are places where I can do this myself, and would probably call out a
pro to do the harder and larger areas where I want total sealing.

Suggestions?

Steve

Harbor Feight has a simple infrared pointing thermometer that is about
$12 as I recall. It ws good for pointing at walls and ceiling to find
where insulation was missing or thin.