Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Ideas for Supporting Fold down table/desk from closed MurphyBed

On 1/14/2013 2:05 PM, Norminn wrote:
On 1/14/2013 4:06 PM, SMS wrote:
We have a queen size Murphy bed in a bedroom that was supposed to double
as an office. I built in using kit hardware.

Now I'd like to have a 60" wide fold down table/desk attached to the
closed bed, but the table needs to be able to fold up out of the way
when the bed is lowered. Something like this
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79847779/#/S99821537 but I
haven't bought anything yet.

I don't see a problem with attaching a hinged 30" x 60" table top to the
bed, but what are some ideas of holding it open?

The bed is about 62" wide.

I could use chains, but I think this would look funky.

None of the fold-out shelf brackets are good for a 30" deep table top.
There are some non-folding 22" brackets
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TII0JY/.

I thought about two hinged 24" wide panels that fold out horizontally
and support the desk.

Do you plan to use both the bed and the desk, back and forth? Your
first link to the panel is for a pretty heavy product...is the bed
secure with the weight of the panel added? I'd be inclined to find a
lighter panel for the desk surface....foam-board with some wood braces
enclosed in laminate (or that may be just as heavy) ) A panel
attached to the bed/wall with a piano hinge, two or three folding (a la
cardtables) legs on the opposite side.

The bed is very secure, it's lag bolted to the wall and the front of the
bed when folded is 3/4" plywood.

I'm also thinking of a hollow core door, cut down to 62". I've
disassembled hollow core doors to shorten them before.

The other option is 30" x 60" panel that either folds down onto some
rolling cabinets, or is just placed on the rolling cabinets.

We probably only use the bed as a bed 8-10 days out of the year, so this
doesn't have to be a solution that's quick and easy to convert.

What it has to be is sufficiently non-kludgy looking, when all in place,
so SWMBO doesn't scream that it's got to be gotten rid of.

I thought about the Harbor Freight work bench
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/workbench/60-inch-workbench-93454.html
for $128, with the legs shortened and casters added as a base then the
30 x 60 panel folding down on top of that. The base could be rolled out
of the room when the bed has to be used. It's already the proper finish.