Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is FOUR wire Triplex for?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 00:10:46 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 16:20:29 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

He just clarified that 4th unconnected wire is
one of the insulated conductors. So, like he says,
if that is what;s there, then it's apparently a 240V
service that might have been 3 phase before.

I would still like to see a picture. If that messenger is truly "not
connected to anything" (not bonded) it is a NESC violation and a
safety hazard, no lineman would allow to happen.since they are the
ones who are in danger,

I bet that when we actually look at it we find it is crimped onto the
strand between poles where everything else is bonded. There won't
usually be a direct connection to the transformer and maybe that was
the confusion.

And no connection at the building, in all likelihood.