Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe DeLoughan[_2_] Moe DeLoughan[_2_] is offline

Default IR questions insulation, heat loss

On 1/14/2013 2:44 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 1/14/2013 1:32 PM, Steve B wrote:
We're going through a cold spell here, and my HVAC is reaching its
limits.
It is 25 degrees F at 1:30 in the afternoon. It was 14 this morning
outside, plus wind chill brought it down below zero. Now, I know
there are
a lot of folks that live where it's that cold all the time, but for
here, it
is a cold snap. It is supposed to be back up to 60 in a week.

I want to do a survey of my home, and identify heat loss sites, as
well as
air infiltration sites.

Is there a means to do this without buying spendy cameras, etc? Are
rental
units available? Do insulation companies do this sort of service?

I really want to go around, and caulk all the sites where I "think"
air is
getting in, as around where door casings meet stucco, and other
areas where
irregular surfaces make a good mating of materials impossible. But,
after
that, I would like a real pro assessment.

What about a small piece of smoking cotton twine to identify
drafts? I know
there are places where I can do this myself, and would probably call
out a
pro to do the harder and larger areas where I want total sealing.

Suggestions?

Steve

call your electric provider. they either do this, or will have low or
free cost contractors who will do this. of course, they then try to
sell you something...

Second the suggestion. Call your local utility and ask for a home
energy audit. My utility offers three grades of audit, ranging in
price from $30 for a simple walk-through/eyeball inspection, up to the
$100 full inspection w/blower door air leakage test and IR scan for
cold spots needing caulking or more insulation.