Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default What is FOUR wire Triplex for?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 19:28:39 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

3+1 wires sounds to me like three phase service which would be common
for a large industrial service. but as others have said the bare would
in fact be a neutral/ground conductor and would in fact be connected.

nate

I've only lived here for about 12 years. The building that cable feeds
was once a clothing store in the 50's. then a JC Penneys, (in the 1960s
- 80s) then it was supposed to be a become a bar/restaurant, (early
2000s) with a dance hall, but after some renovation, the owner moved,
and the place was never opened. Now it's unoccupied. The building is
likely close to 100 years old. The entire downtown consists of building
of that age, except for a few newer ones. My guess is that the wires
may have been 3 phase, but I really dont know why a clothing store or
Penneys would need 3 phase. But I'm wondering if that cable was added
in the early 2000's when that bar/restarant was supposed to open. I
could see the need for 3 phase for walk in coolers and other industrial
food preparation equipment. It's hard to tell the age of that cable,
but it's older looking, but not cracked or bad looking. I'd take a wild
guess that the power company installed it for future upgrade to 3 phase
for that bar/rest. Just a guess!!!!

Prior to that 1950s clothing store, I'm not sure what the building was
used for, and so far no one else in town seems to remember, except that
maybe it was a clothing store going way back to when it was built. It's
a large 3 story building for a small town, but would be small for a big
city. Typical turn of the century store front with large glass windows.
It's supposed to be in pretty good shape for its age, but the guy just
leaves it vacant and dont try to sell it. Apparently he must think it's
going to be a "gold mine" in later years. Who knows????