Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Nexus 7 tablet - sold out? X-post

On 1/14/2013 9:45 AM, Tony Houghton wrote:
In ,
Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jan 12, 2:06 pm, Tony Houghton wrote:

Kindle Fire HD is another good competitor.

Having been given a Kindle Fire HD as Xmas bonus at work I would not
recommend one as a general purpose "tablet" as you are, AFAICT,
limited to apps that Amazon want to sell you. Fine as an e-reader I
suppose but I much prefer a proper book or magazine to read.

Really? I'm sure I read that you can install Google Play and therefore
get access to all their apps too. Maybe it needs rooting for Play to
work, but even if so you should be able to manually install pretty much
any standard Android app.

I don't yet have a Kindle Fire, but the reading I've done seems to
indicate that yes, with a little tweaking, you _can_ install 'outside' apps.