Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default London tube Ticket (OT)

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 14:07:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not at all. The London Transport system is a mystery to me with zones,
cards, shellfish, congestion charges, pollution control areas etc etc.

Zones are roughly concentric areas from the centre of London. If you're
a tourist and sticking to the centre, you'd not need a card that allows
you to go anywhere.

Not anywhere but I don't know the zone boundaries at all. Would a card
for the single central zone cover all the tourist sites?

Zones 1 & 2 cover all the main central tourist stuff. Effectively, they
cover inside and including the Circle line on the tube map.

If you want to go to places like the Docklands and Greenwich to the
east, or Kew Gardens to the West, you need extra zones.

The low emission zone doesn't affect you unless you are driving anything
with a diesel engine over 7 seats, and the congestion charge doesn't
apply to vehicles with more than 8 seats, taxis (London Hackney carriage
licences only.), or private hire vehicles registered with TfL. I could,
for instance, put a large petrol engine in the coach and forget about
the low emission zone. I'd just need a mortgage for the fuel bills...

Maps of the zones are available, and if you don't know London, you need
to preplan your journey anyway, as unless your map reader is up to
Olympic Gold medal standard, you won't have time to read a map or, quite
likely, do more than glance at your GPS screen.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.