Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default London tube Ticket (OT)

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Zones are roughly concentric areas from the centre of London. If
you're a tourist and sticking to the centre, you'd not need a card
that allows you to go anywhere.

Not anywhere but I don't know the zone boundaries at all. Would a card
for the single central zone cover all the tourist sites?

Most of the more common ones - you can download a map showing the zones
from TfL.

The Oyster card is merely a pre-payment debit card which is 'swiped'
when used. It gives a considerable discount over paying cash.

You needn't concern yourself with the CC and pollution control areas if
using PT

How close can I drive to London before either becomes an possible
problem? IIRC the pollution zone is more or less anywhere inside the
M25, some vehicles don't pay to enter that others do. Do you get enough
warning about an impending charge to be able to avoid it. TBH if I was
driving in central london and came a cross a congestion charge point I'd
want to stop and turn round, is that possible? It's OK for the "locals"
to know the rules and think them obvious but for many a trafic jam is 4
cars in a queue for 2mins, all parking is free and all roads are free.

The pollution thing only really applies to trucks - or possibly some older
diesel camper vans. The CC area is all too easy to enter without realising
it - there are no barriers. So again best to plan your route. Again, you
can download a map showing it.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Dave Plowman London SW