Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Voltage regulation wrt resistive and inductive loads...

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 00:28:47 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Jan 13, 5:50*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 01:30:53 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

"Existential Angst" wrote:
Awl --

In a portable generator.

Does one type of load vs the other make it more difficult for a typical
portable generator to maintain constant voltage?
Esp at a current approaching the continuous current limit of the generator.

I ask bec the mfr claims 1-2% regulation. *A small miller welder is causing
12%+ variation, within the current limitations, with the voltage variation
being fairly proportional to load. *I'm assuming a transformer load is
substantially inductive?

I haven't yet tested it with purely resistive loads, cuz, well, this would
require a lot of heaters, a pita to wire up.

All the generator cares is how much real power it takes to spin. It's not
measuring LC, just measuring the final outcome. 1-2 % really surprises me.

No, it cares about the current being supplied. *Heating is done by the
current, not the real power generated. *Generators are rated in KVA,
not watts.

Watts generated (in any conductor = Amps squared X resistance.

What about "watts generated"? Is English your first language?

Poor power factor increases amps which means more heat has to be
dissipated in the generator.
(in the whole circuit in fact)

....and your point?