Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Woodburner Gurus

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 13:54:42 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:

presumably the boiler part is in use? does it produce a "hot" output
or just help another heat source?

The boiler feeds a 300l thermal store via a load controller that should
ensure that, apart from initial start up, the circulating water is always
above 60C. Clip on thermometers at the boiler show the flow from the
boiler in the range of 65 to 75C and return around 60 to 65C.

between 3 and 9 for how long would the boiler be producing "hot"?

I guess all the time it can, the thermal store is depleted by the CH and
HW. The CH will come on and off as required and the woodburner generally
keeps up with that demand, plodding along heating the store when the CH
is not demanding heat.

generally sounds to me as though the boiler may be cooling the gases
etc so much that the tarry nasties are condensing on the first/next
coolest surface - your flue exit

Could well be right, the flue pipe immediatly out the back of the stove
up to the cIosure plate is single skin metal tube, so quite "cold" and
looses heat well. I guess the best solution is to give it a good burn
every now and again. What do you reckon once a week, fortnight or month?

.....is there a flue liner of some sort above all this? or just an open
masonry flue ;( ???

Above the closure plate flexible twin wall flue liner not quite sure how
much insulation is around that in the old stone chimney. I didn't see
enough empty vermiculite bags to have filled the entire void. I wasn't
overly happy about the installers...

You can get thermometers which clamp to the single wall flue above the
stove.
This lets you know if you have the flue gasses warm enough.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)