Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Tapping into an electric circuit

wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 10:11:38 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On Sunday 13 January 2013 04:40 wrote in alt.home.repair:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 13:35:46 +1100, John G
wrote:

submitted this idea :
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:54:34 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

2 10 amp circuits in UK provide the same power as 1 20 amp circuit in
America.. No way you would ever get away with that little power in an
American or Canadian home.

2 X 10 amps in UK = 2 x 10 x 230 = 4600 Watts

1 X 20 amps in US = 1 x 20 x 120 = 2400 Watts

According to my calculator. :-?

Sorry - I meant one 10 amp circuit in UK provides same power as 1 20
amp in USA, and NO WAY would you get away with that little power ( 2
circuits) in a house in USA or Canada.

That was just lighting (in the UK example).

Insufficient even for lighting in MANY North American homes. - but as
I noted, here there is no such thing as a "lighting circuit" in MOST
cases. The only time you would have a "lighting circuit" would be if
you had massive Low Voltage Control or dimmer panels - basically
theatre lighting.

Maybe I'm missing your meaning of "lighting circuit".

Many workshops are wired with the lights on their own circuit. Keeps the
place from going dark when a piece of power equipment pops the breaker.
That's how I wired mine. I put in a dedicated circuit for the shop lights
so nothing but a complete power failure will leave me stumbling around in a
dark workshop.