Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Voltage regulation wrt resistive and inductive loads...

On Jan 13, 3:44*pm, Transition Zone wrote:
On Jan 13, 3:40*pm, Transition Zone wrote: On Jan 12, 5:10*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote: Awl --

In a portable generator.

Does one type of load vs the other make it more difficult for a typical
portable generator to maintain constant voltage?
Esp at a current approaching the continuous current limit of the generator.

I ask bec the mfr claims 1-2% regulation. *A small miller welder is causing
12%+ variation, within the current limitations, with the voltage variation
being fairly proportional to load. *I'm assuming a transformer load is
substantially inductive?

* *I haven't yet tested it with purely resistive loads, *cuz, *well,

*PURELY resistive? **Where in the heck would you find a PURELY
RESISTIVE

*load?

Oh, Attenuators. I didn't know that. *I guess that part of the circuit
is purely resistive or resistive/inductive.

(I just looked up "purely resistive")

An electric heating element, like a range element, toaster,
heater without a fan, water heater, light bulb etc are examples.
They all have some theoretical small inductance, capacitance,
too, but it's so tiny it can be ignored. The voltage and current
through those devices is in phase.