Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson[_2_] Andrew Mawson[_2_] is offline

Default Woodburner Gurus

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

2nd Year of running the woodburner. Didn't think it was drawing very well
the last few days, wasn't sure if it was because of the cold, still,
weather or something else. So removed the baffle to look at the base of
the 7" rear exit flue. Maybe more than 50% blocked by light
crispy/brittle tar bits, removed all that (a bucket full) and it's now
drawing and burning far better. B-)

The flue was swept before we started this season in the last week of
October, similar amount of burnt tar then after the entire winter (5
months?) as I've just removed after a week under three months.

There has been a fire in it most days since the 23rd Oct from about 1500
with the last logs going in about 2100. The stove is quite large 10kW
output but with a boiler rated aroud 7kW so I guess the flue gases are
generally quite cool. We are burning seasoned hard wood (mostly beech but
some birch and a little possibly oak), with the bark falling off and
shakes opening up in the end grain. Generally it'll get through 4 x 9"
long 4" sized logs every hour, so something over 15 logs/day.

Is that level of light crispy tar build up sort of expected? I don't mind
digging it out every 6 weeks or so, more concerned about buildup in the
flue and risk of a fire up there...

In my experience you need to have a really good roaring blaze every now and
again to keep the flue clear of such debris.

AWEM