Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_2_] Meanie[_2_] is offline

Default Power outage

wrote in message

By dead with the breaker on, do you mean that you're
reading 120V at the breaker wire and you've at the
same time reading that you don't have 120V between
either hot and neutral or hot and ground at any of the
switches and outlets?

================================================== =====================================
Originally, by dead, I meant the breaker was on but all outlets/switches
were dead. I didn't use the tester to confirm that because things were
plugged in but not on and the hall switch and bathroom switch have the inner
light which can be seen when it's off. They were both off and I assumed
there wasn't power.

BUT NOW.......I turned the breaker on and those inner lights in the switch
were on. I metered the outlets and read 115v on all. Thus, I turned on the
hall switch and nothing. That inner glow light went flickering and upon
checking the outlets again, voltage was roughly 55 to 65v in the outlets. I
turned the breaker off then on again and the inner switch lights are aglow
and the outlets are reading 155v again. My conclusion is a bad neutral
SOMEWHERE which is triggered when I hit the light switch and/or was
triggered when I turned on an appliance (computer, tv, etc) when I had them
all plugged in.

I'm wondering if it can still be in an outlet or switch. If so, I am
considering the advice of purchasing a box and replacing all just for
process of elimination.