Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power outage

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 09:15:41 -0500, "Meanie" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message ...

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Hi,

Sounds fairly typical of a failing push-wire connection at a receptacle.
Best to at a minimum remove each device and change it from push-wire
connections to screw terminal connections. If the current devices are
$0.50 specials, I'd recommend buying the bulk packs of the "spec grade"
or "commercial grade" receptacles that run ~$2 and replace the devices
as well, again using the screw terminals or the screw clamp option on
some of the better devices. The push-wire connections are nothing but
trouble.

I'm uncertain of the outlet and switch grade since they were the originals
ones when I bought the house. Though I will be checking each individual
connection today.

Better yet, get the type with the back wire clamps. They'll connect
the same way (so you won't have to restrip and refold the wire in the
box) as the "back-stab" outlets you probably already have, but have a
screw clamp, rather than a flimsy metal knife-edge to hold the wire.
They don't cost any more ($20 for ten) than the normal screw-type
outlets and are far easier to work with.