Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tapping into an electric circuit

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 07:18:33 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 12, 4:59*pm, Douglas Johnson wrote:
" wrote:
On Jan 11, 7:02*pm, wrote:
We hear the "insurance" nonsense here all the time but it's BS. *The
worrywarts couldn't take a **** without their master's permission.- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking the same thing. *By now you'd think there would
be case after case cited here by these folks where an insurance
company denied a claim because someone did some work
incorrectly themselves. * It might be out there, but I have yet to
see it.

I once asked two independent insurance adjusters if insurers would deny such a
claim. *Neither one hesitated before saying "They'd pay."

I've been all over my homeowner's policy. *The only clause that might allow them
to deny such a claim would be if they could establish it was deliberate with the
goal of burning the house down.

Please write down the date and time. *This is an event unlikely to occur ever
again. *The three of us agreeing on something.

-- Doug

Not to spoil the moment, but I can think of one potential
line of argument to deny a claim. Typically homeowners insurance
doesn't cover criminal acts that you commit. They could
argue that the electrical circuit you added without a permit
that was done incorrectly was a violation of the law.
But I'm not sure it meets the level of a true criminal act.
And they would have to prove that it was the cause of
the loss, etc.

It is not a criminal act. Infraction crime.

Claims may in fact have been denied for work that
was done incorrectly by a homeowner, without a permit,
etc., somewhere, sometime. But if it's happened, funny
that the folks that keep bringing this up don't have cases
to show us. If they do, I'd be happy to see them.

Citation needed.